Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Open Your Eyes (1997)


IMDb plot summary: A very handsome man finds the love of his life, but he suffers an accident and needs to have his face rebuilt by surgery after it is severely disfigured.
Directed by Alejandro Amenábar. Starring Eduardo Noriega, Penélope Cruz, and Chete Lera.

I watched the remake of this last year. Since they are pretty similar, I'd heard that whichever one I watched first would probably be the one I liked more. That is definitely the case here. Watching the story unfold this second time was not quite as wonderful for me, and the performances didn't capture me as much. It's tempting for me to downplay it because it wasn't *transcendant* the way Vanilla Sky was for me, but it was still a really excellent movie. The story is fascinating, the acting is good, and the ending is really interesting to watch. 4 stars.

Flickchart: #347 out of 1920, below Trainspotting and above Kramer vs. Kramer.

No comments: