Saturday, May 26, 2012

Mr. Baseball (1992)


I already don't have a high tolerance for sports films, but I was even less impressed with this one than usual. It takes about three different cliched formulas, smushes them together into one movie, and then waters it down until it's completely uninteresting. Even now as I think back on it, I have to work really hard to remember the plot details. Sports movies have to be *really* good to overcome the genre handicap for me, and this one didn't even come close. 1 star.

Best Part: I guess I kind of liked the main girl. I wish she did more to be interesting.
Worst Part: Tom Selleck's character was thoroughly despicable and never really changed. I can't root for someone like that.
Flickchart: #1544, below Shrek the Third and above the Pride & Prejudice with Keira Knightley.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel pretty bad that this was the first movie for our new virtual movie club. I love baseball, I like Tom Selleck and even I can't find much of anything nice to say about it. I liked Dennis Haysbert's character, and I wish the movie had been about him. No one seems to even know what position his character plays, which is definitely a sign of a very inattentive, lazy baseball movie.

I think you'll get a laugh when you see where it entered my Flickchart:

#1178 Trading Places
#1179 Mr. Baseball
#1180 Shrek the Third

Hannah K said...

Oh, no feeling bad. I'm up for watching just about any movie. :) Especially ones I wouldn't deliberately pick out on my own. Sometimes those are fun and surprising.

It seems it's official. Shrek the Third and Mr. Baseball are roughly the same caliber.