Friday, May 11, 2012

The Cabin in the Woods (2012)

This is easily one of the best horror movies I've ever seen. It's funny, it's scary, it's captivating, and even when you kind of think you know what's going on, the ending takes you completely by surprise. It is very aware of horror movie stereotypes and uses them creatively. The characters are easy to root for. If more horror movies were this well done and this creative, I'd like the genre so much better. 4.5 stars.

(Some spoilers in this part.)
Best Part: The ending took me by surprise and then moved me in a way that I would never have expected from a horror movie.
Worst Part: Well, it is extremely bloody in the final 20 minutes or so. While I'm not super squeamish, there were moments where I felt a little nauseous at just how much death was happening.
Flickchart: #158, below 127 Hours and above Fiddler on the Roof.

No comments: