Saturday, January 28, 2012

Scotland, Pa. (2001)

A fun take on the story of Macbeth with a lot of unexpected laughs in it. Maura Tierney in particular is good as the Lady Macbeth character, and Christopher Walken is extremely entertaining as Lieutenant McDuff. It's interesting to see the comedic angle on such a well-known play. The abrupt ending didn't quite work for me, but overall it was fun to watch. 3.5 stars.

Best Part: Christopher Walken. Like I said, he was a lot of fun in this.
Worst Part: Also like I said, the ending. It never builds up the inevitability of the death, which is one of my favorite things about Macbeth to begin with. Just kind of throws it in out of nowhere.
Flickchart: #520, below Nine Lives and above Nanny McPhee.

1 comment:

Raghav said...

Never heard of it, but I always enjoy when Shakes' plays are given a modern twist.