Monday, January 2, 2012

Jake's Women (1996)

Neil Simon and Woody Allen have similar dialogue patterns, similar humor, and similar themes. (I clearly love them both for the same thing.) This, more than almost any other Simon play, kept reminding of something Woody Allen would have directed. However, comparisons aside, I really enjoyed this film. I'd read the play before but watching it made all the difference - it seemed a much more unified story. Alan Alda is really great in the role of Jake. The dialogue is great - I laughed out loud quite a few times - and the overall story is a very touching one. When I read through all Neil Simon's plays, this one barely registered on my radar, but now I think I could call it one of my favorites of his. 4 stars.

Best Part: I love the dialogue. Love love love it. It's just so funny.
Worst Part: That ending is pretty abruptly resolved, which was disappointing.
FlickChart: This wasn't in the FlickChart database when I went to look for it, so I submitted it and expected I'd have to come back and edit this review later, but it ended up being added almost immediately, so now I know the FlickChart ranking of this movie is... #422, below The Nightmare Before Christmas and above Run, Fat Boy, Run.

No comments: