Friday, January 13, 2012

The Blair Witch Project (1999)

(Some spoilers ahead.)
This movie is so much more effective than I thought it would be. I think this is due to two things that a lot of the "found footage" horror movies these days are missing: 1) the quality of the acting here is really good and completely believable, and 2) you see so little of what's going on. Instead of buckets of blood and spring-loaded cats, this movie does an amazing job of building up the tension and the desperation along with the characters. (As I think back on it, the build happens fairly slowly, but I felt like we were definitely moving toward something in each scene - it didn't feel slow.) In the final scene, almost NOTHING happens in comparison to other horror films, and yet it was one of the scariest things I've seen in a long time. Meep. By the way, watching it at 2:30 in the morning when you're the only person awake is awesome and terrifying. 4 stars.

Best Part: Heather's attempted confident cries of, "It's not the same log," devolving into terrified sobs... that really got to me. I knew they weren't going to get out alive, but in that moment, I suddenly felt it.
Worst Part: However, the famous confession scene only half-worked for me. It was unfortunate to be taken somewhat out of the world of the movie so near the end.
Flickchart: #294, above Jaws and below Kiss Me, Stupid!

1 comment:

Raghav said...

As good as this movie was, I hated it when they went ahead and made a sequel that was way to hollywood-esq. But, BWP brought about a change in horror and just the way films were shot.