Friday, February 10, 2023

Monte Carlo (1930)

IMDb plot summary: A countess flees to Monte Carlo on the day of her wedding, where she is courted by a count posing as a hairdresser.
Directed by Ernst Lubitsch. Starring Jeanette MacDonald, Jack Buchanan, and Claud Allister.

Monte Carlo is a very early Ernst Lubitsch romance about a woman who runs away from her rich fiance and ends up falling in love with her hairdresser (who, unbeknownst to her, is another rich man). This is an early musical, and I found myself surprised by how much I loved the songs. My personal musical style definitely tends toward the modern, and I often zone out a bit during older musical movies, but the songs in this are delightful and fun and catchy in all the best ways. It definitely helps that a good-quality version of this film still exists, which is definitely not the case for a lot of 1930 movies, and it helps the songs sound their best. And the rest of the movie is also very good -- while the romance isn't one I'm necessarily personally invested in, the dialogue is funny and clever and the stars give it their all. This is definitely one I could see growing to become a favorite even if it was only "very good" rather than "great" on this watchthrough.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Monte Carlo > My Week With Marilyn
Monte Carlo < Safe
Monte Carlo > VeggieTales: Where's God When I'm S-Scared?
Monte Carlo < The Producers (2005)
Monte Carlo > Chain Reaction
Monte Carlo > The Theory of Everything
Monte Carlo > Native Son (2019)
Monte Carlo > Watchmen
Monte Carlo > The Artist
Monte Carlo > Whisky Galore!
Monte Carlo > The Mummy (1932)
Monte Carlo > Show Me Love
Final spot: #1176 out of 3762, or 69%.

No comments: