Friday, February 10, 2023

Decision to Leave (2022)

IMDb plot summary: A detective investigating a man's death in the mountains meets the dead man's mysterious wife in the course of his dogged sleuthing.
Directed by Park Chan-wook. Starring Park Hae-il, Tang Wei, and Lee Jung-hyun.

Decision to Leave focuses on a detective who finds himself falling in love with the suspect of a murder he's investigating. I don't want to give away many more spoilers than that, but the two get more and more intertwined throughout the course of the story. This movie got a ton of attention last year, to the point where I was startled it didn't get a Best Foreign Film nomination at the Oscars, and it definitely was more interesting to me than many crime dramas are. The filmmaking itself is really lovely in this, shots and sound choices that reel you in and make you pay attention, and even when I wasn't fully drawn into the story I enjoyed just watching the scenes play out in and of themselves. The movie also brings it home in the final moments, at least for me. It ends in a way that I didn't anticipate but that I found... let's say striking. I definitely see why so many people connected to this movie, and while I didn't fall in love quite as much, it was something I'm glad I saw and I appreciate what it was doing.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Decision to Leave > My Week with Marilyn
Decision to Leave < Safe
Decision to Leave > VeggieTales: Where's God When I'm S-Scared?
Decision to Leave < Monte Carlo
Decision to Leave > Chain Reaction
Decision to Leave > The Theory of Everything
Decision to Leave > Native Son (2019)
Decision to Leave < Watchmen
Decision to Leave > The Descendants
Decision to Leave < Serial Mom
Decision to Leave > Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Final spot: #1195 out of 3763, or 68%.

No comments: