Saturday, July 23, 2022

A Boy and His Dog (1975)

IMDb plot summary: A young man and his telepathic dog wander a post-apocalyptic wasteland.
Directed by L.Q. Jones. Starring Don Johnson, Jason Robards, and Susanne Benton.

A Boy and His Dog is based off of a Harlan Ellison novella in which a young man and a telepathic dog traverse a post-apocalyptic wasteland. When they meet a young woman, the man has to start to decide which of his two companions has more of a say in how he lives his life. This is a movie that caught my attention right from the beginning with its unusual premise, and it held it with its darkly comic tone and refusal to explain much of its world. It reminds me quite a bit of the Mad Max series, although less elaborately technological. I found myself drawn into this world, especially as we begin to see multiple sides of it and the way various people have adapted to their new lives. The story ultimately doesn't go quite the way I expected, but I found it a fascinating time and am glad I had the opportunity to watch it.

How it entered my Flickchart:
A Boy and His Dog > Ripley's Game
A Boy and His Dog > Woman in the Dunes
A Boy and His Dog < Broadway Danny Rose
A Boy and His Dog < Colossal
A Boy and His Dog < Never Rarely Sometimes Always
A Boy and His Dog > The Man in the Iron Mask
A Boy and His Dog < Cyrano
A Boy and His Dog > Boy A
A Boy and His Dog > Little Women (1994)
A Boy and His Dog > The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
A Boy and His Dog > Sisters
Final spot: #823 out of 3628, or 77%.

No comments: