Sunday, July 31, 2022

The House (2022)


IMDb plot summary: Across different eras, a poor family, an anxious developer and a fed-up landlady become tied to the same mysterious house in this animated dark comedy.
Directed by Paloma Baeza, Emma De Swaef, and Niki Lindroth von Bahr. Starring Mia Goth, Matthew Goode, and Claudie Blakley.

The House is an animated anthology film based apparently on a book that I have not read, featuring a creepy house with three different stories about it, all featuring the house having some sort of unnatural pull over the people in it -- or the animals in it, as in the last two, they are not human. This is definitely a deeply creepy film. Something about the style of the animation is really unsettling. The stories themselves are very eerie, and none of them give a clear explanation about what's happening or why it's happening. We just know that this house is, for example, starting to eat these people, but we don't know why. It's a very whimsical kind of horror, which is really fascinating to me. I think the second film of the three was probably my favorite, even though I had the least idea of what it meant. It just hit me on such an unsettling, visceral level that I couldn't help but have a big reaction to it, and I think the reaction that I had to all three of these will stay with me. Definitely worth a watch, especially if you like weird animation or creepy animation or creepy kids stories, and I'm definitely interested in checking out the book at some point because I am curious as to how different that is.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The House > Ripley's Game
The House > La La Land
The House < The Goodbye Girl (1977)
The House < Booksmart
The House > City Lights
The House > The Man in the Iron Mask
The House < Sisters
The House > Boy A
The House > Little Women (1994)
The House < Twins
The House > Mirage
Final spot: #829 out of 3642, or 77%.

No comments: