Tuesday, February 8, 2022

The Mirror (1975)

IMDb plot summary: A dying man in his forties remembers his past. His childhood, his mother, the war, personal moments and things that tell of the recent history of all the Russian nation.
Directed by Andrei Tarkovsky. Starring Margarita Terekhova, Filipp Yankovskiy, and Ignat Daniltsev.

The Mirror is a dreamlike nonlinear memory film featuring pieces of a young man's life as a boy and as an adult, living through a war, raising a child, and more. It's directed by Andrei Tarkovsky, of Stalker and Solaris fame, and just to be honest, I could not stand either of those movies. Tarkovsky's directing moves at a snail's pace, and his dialogue is nearly always philosophical ponderings more than anything directly related to the characters, which makes it even harder for me to connect to. His style is certainly distinct and I understand that people like him, but I feel too often that I'd get the exact same effect from reading a philosophy book while occasionally glancing at a photo of the countryside. I keep hoping that one of these days I'll find the Tarkovsky film that clicks for me the way he does for others, but this one, with its "memory play" feeling and its jumping all over the timeline, is not that film. It is shorter than most of his others, which made it an easier watch for me, so it might be a good entry point into Tarkovsky for newbies. And if you like this one, he's definitely got more that are in similar veins!

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Mirror < The Harder They Fall
The Mirror < Dinner at Eight
The Mirror > Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
The Mirror < The Zen of Bennett
The Mirror < Men of Honor
The Mirror < The Internship
The Mirror > They All Laughed
The Mirror > Joseph: King of Dreams
The Mirror < Out of the Past
The Mirror > The Forgotten
The Mirror > Michael Clayton
Final spot: #3027 out of 3513, or 14%.

No comments: