Tuesday, February 8, 2022

The Flintstones (1994)

IMDb plot summary: In a parallel modern-day Stone Age world, a working-class family, the Flintstones, are set up for an executive job. But they learn that money can't buy happiness.
Directed by Brian Levant. Starring John Goodman, Rick Moranis, Halle Berry, and Kyle MacLachlan.

The Flintstones is the 1994 live-action film adaptation of the Hanna Barbera cartoon about a world of prehistoric humans functioning in basically a modern world, powered by stone and dinosaurs. In this version of the story, incompetent work Fred Flintstone is promoted to high-powered executive so he can take the fall for his boss's embezzlement scheme, and in the meantime his promotion leads to him treating his less-fortunate best friends poorly. I had extremely low expectations for this, and it's... not quite as obnoxious as I anticipated. Don't get me wrong, I can't say I got anything out of it. This is clearly a movie for young children, and Elizabeth Taylor is criminally underused. But I wasn't as irritated as I thought I might be throughout. There are some genuine, if simple, character arcs, and McLachlan is always an entertaining villain, and none of the more annoying side characters were around long enough for me to resent them. It's definitely not a movie I'd recommend, but I guess it's fine that it exists and it's fine than I've seen it.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Flintstones < Hustle & Flow
The Flintstones < Dinner At Eight
The Flintstones > Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
The Flintstones > Pooh's Grand Adventure: The Search for Christopher Robin
The Flintstones < Night at the Museum
The Flintstones < Bedtime Story
The Flintstones > Dinner for Schmucks
The Flintstones < The Wages of Fear
The Flintstones > Madigan
The Flintstones > Enough
The Flintstones < Send Me No Flowers
Final spot: #2806 out of 3500, or 20%.

No comments: