Friday, April 30, 2021

Moxie (2021)

IMDb plot summary: Inspired by her mom's rebellious past and a confident new friend, a shy 16-year-old publishes an anonymous zine calling out sexism at her school.
Directed by Amy Poehler. Starring Hadley Robinson, Lauren Tsai, Alycia Pascual-Pena, and Nico Hiraga.

I absolutely loved this. Loved, loved, loved it. It made me laugh and made me care about the characters and made me cheer even when the events seemed a little idealistic and unlikely to happen in real life. I love the depth of characters they build in these teenagers, particularly Vivian's best friend, who worries that she lacks the courage to follow her friend on this path, and Vivian's boyfriend, who may be one of the most likable romantic lead protagonists I've ever seen on film. I love the clever dialogue which is funny and interesting without ever seeming too scripted. Sometimes you just want to see good people fighting for the underdog and winning, and that's exactly what this movie offers. This is going to be one I revisit from time to time, for sure.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Moxie > Safety Not Guaranteed
Moxie > The Black Cat
Moxie > He Loves Me... He Loves Me Not
Moxie < This Is Spinal Tap
Moxie > Bells Are Ringing
Moxie > August Rush
Moxie > Some Like It Hot
Moxie > Fright Night (1985)
Moxie > The Adventures of Robin Hood
Moxie > Kes
Moxie < The Orphanage
Final spot: #212 out of 3353, or 94%.

No comments: