Friday, April 30, 2021

Dodsworth (1936)

IMDb plot summary: A retired auto manufacturer and his wife take a long-planned European vacation only to find that they want very different things from life.
Directed by William Wyler. Starring Walter Huston, Ruth Chatterton, Paul Lukas, and Mary Astor.

This is a difficult movie to figure out what I feel about it. It definitely doesn't go in the directions I expect it to. I'll start with the performances, I suppose: Walter Huston and Ruth Chatterton create some truly memorable characters here. Huston plays Sam Dodsworth as a fascinating combination of adventurous and stuck in his ways, and Chatterton's Fran Dodsworth is never fully unsympathetic even when she continues to make terrible decisions. The film maybe meant to take a bit more of a hard stance on who was right and who was wrong, but I found my sympathies flipping between the two every few scenes. I was mildly surprised by how the story ended but it was a satisfying ending. It's not amazing, but it's worth a watch.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Dodsworth > Safety Not Guaranteed
Dodsworth < Hoop Dreams
Dodsworth < Ramona and Beezus
Dodsworth < Holiday Inn
Dodsworth < Eyes Wide Shut
Dodsworth > My Week With Marilyn
Dodsworth < Bottle Rocket
Dodsworth > Aguirre: The Wrath of God
Dodsworth > Skyfall
Dodsworth > Following
Dodsworth > The Invention of Lying
Dodsworth > Kodachrome
Final spot: #1598 out of 3352, or 52%.

No comments: