Sunday, January 17, 2021

Point Break (1991)

IMDb plot summary: An F.B.I. Agent goes undercover to catch a gang of surfers who may be bank robbers.
Directed by Kathryn Bigelow. Starring Patrick Swayze, Keanu Reeves, Gary Busey, and Lori Petty.

This is a spectacularly goofy, over-the-top movie that somehow seems to be playing itself completely seriously, but I'll be darned if it didn't ultimately pull me into its drama. Once I stopped trying to figure out how to close the plot holes the movie left, I kind of settled into its way-too-sincere atmosphere and found myself enjoying it a lot more, and I was even a little moved by the film's ending. And while I do not care at all about surfing or skydiving on a personal level, the action scenes are filmed well and definitely tap into some vicarious thrills of living life on the edge. Keanu's a little one-note here, and Gary Busey is baffling, but Patrick Swayze is great. I can definitely see how this got its cultlike following of fans.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Point Break > Christine
Point Break < Chronicle
Point Break > The Hidden Fortress
Point Break > Native Son
Point Break < Cheaper by the Dozen (1950)
Point Break > Kind Hearts and Coronets
Point Break > A Nightmare on Elm Street
Point Break < Hell in the Pacific
Point Break > High Strung
Point Break > Bride & Prejudice
Point Break < Logan's Run
Final spot: #941 out of 3294, or 71%.

No comments: