Saturday, January 30, 2021

10 (1979)

IMDb plot summary: A Hollywood composer goes through a mid-life crisis and becomes infatuated with a sexy, newly married woman.
Directed by Blake Edwards. Starring Dudley Moore, Julie Andrews, Bo Derek, and Robert Webber.

It's to Dudley Moore's credit that he makes this character less insufferable than I usually find protagonists of this ilk. There's a genuine sadness to him that makes it easier to empathize with him when he's acting like a jerk. That being said, I DON'T care that much about his character arc or him realizing what he does or doesn't want out of life. There are a lot of moments here that I suspect are being mined for comedy, but they don't land for me, they're too broad and too incongruous when placed haphazardly into the character's much more dismal life story. In short, this is a frequently-told story that I don't find much to like to begin with, and this version has one or two spots of interest but doesn't win me over in the end.

How it entered my Flickchart:
10 < High School Musical 3: Senior Year
10 > The Cocoanuts
10 > Midnight Cowboy
10 < The Boston Strangler
10 < No Highway in the Sky
10 > Bully
10 > Revolutionary Road
10 < Don't Eat the Pictures: Sesame Street at the Metropolitan Museum of Art
10 < Jurassic World
10 > Star Trek Into Darkness
10 > Iron Eagle
10 > Withnail & I
Final spot: #1981 out of 3303, or 40%.

No comments: