Tuesday, January 12, 2021

I Am Number Four (2011)

IMDb plot summary: Aliens and their Guardians are hiding on Earth from intergalactic bounty hunters. They can only be killed in numerical order, and Number Four is next on the list. This is his story.
Directed by D.J. Caruso. Starring Alex Pettyfer, Timothy Olyphant, Dianna Agron, and Callan McAuliffe.

For as much silly sci-fi as this movie contains, it's also a surprising amount of just... normal teen drama. New guy moves to town, gets on the school bullies' bad side, tries to find love despite an overprotective parent... It hits all the expected beats, except the character has superpowers. It doesn't do anything really exciting with this story and is a pretty bland mushing together of all the sci-fi YA tropes, and our leads have zero on-screen chemistry either alone or together. Additionally, the villains' makeup designs are pretty generically goofy and it's hard to take them very seriously, and they set up a HECK of a deus ex machina with characters abruptly discovering new superpowers as is convenient. But it's a harmless kind of bland, and if this is a genre you love already (as I do), you might enjoy it enough.

How it entered my Flickchart:
I Am Number Four < Meet John Doe
I Am Number Four > The Secret of My Success
I Am Number Four < Mission: Impossible
I Am Number Four < Stand and Deliver
I Am Number Four > Pepito and the Magic Lamp
I Am Number Four < Ocean's Twelve
I Am Number Four > K-19: The Widowmaker
I Am Number Four < On the Waterfront
I Am Number Four > The Third Man
I Am Number Four > Apocalypse Now
I Am Number Four < Sand Castle
Final spot: #2330 out of 3291, or 29%.

No comments: