Friday, November 6, 2020

Raising Cain (1992)


IMDb plot summary: The oncologist wife of a prominent child psychologist suspects her husband has an unhealthy scientific obsession with their child, unaware of what - or who - is really going on inside his head.
Directed by Brian De Palma. Starring John Lithgow, Lolita Davidovich, Steven Bauer, and Frances Sternhagen.

This is an obviously bad but kind of enjoyable movie. Even after the plot comes together, it really doesn't make much sense, and it includes all these long expository "So, you see, what happened was" scenes where characters explain the movie to each other. There's at least one dramatic scene that is supposed to be dark and sad I think but it's so over-the-top that I laughed out loud. And that plot! At one point I had to pause the movie and go find the synopsis on Wikipedia to read up to where I was thus far and figure out if I'd missed a section. I hadn't, it was just making confusing plot decisions on its own. John Lithgow is clearly having a blast hamming this up though -- he definitely gives it his all. I would mostly recommend this one for a group watch with a bunch of snarky friends.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Raising Cain > Poulenc: Dialogues des Carmelites
Raising Cain < The Black Cat
Raising Cain < I, Tonya
Raising Cain < The Fixer
Raising Cain < Ping Pong Playa
Raising Cain < Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Raising Cain < The Major and the Minor
Raising Cain > It Comes at Night
Raising Cain > Jumanji
Raising Cain > The Score
Raising Cain < Escape from New York
Final spot: #1604 out of 3253, or 51%.

No comments: