Saturday, November 21, 2020

Hamilton (2020)


IMDb plot summary: The real life of one of America's foremost founding fathers and first Secretary of the Treasury, Alexander Hamilton. Captured live on Broadway from the Richard Rodgers Theater with the original Broadway cast.
Directed by Thomas Kail. Starring Lin-Manuel Miranda, Leslie Odom Jr., Daveed Diggs, and Phillipa Soo.

Hamilton is a show I admire on just about every level -- it's engaging and powerful and funny and sad and makes theater AND history more accessible and has just endlessly engaging lyrics. I'm quite comfortable saying Lin-Manuel Miranda is a genius songwriter. While the show itself hasn't wormed its way into my heart quite as deeply as it has everyone else's, I still find myself moved by it every time I see it. In this production, the side character actors are the biggest standouts. As brilliant as Miranda is on the page, he's not as smooth on the stage, and I have a strong suspicion that Leslie Odom, Jr. as Aaron Burr was under the weather on the night this was filmed. But Philippa Soo, Renee Elise Goldsberry, and Daveed Diggs absolutely steal the show as Hamilton's wife, sister-in-law, and colleagues. And like with any theatrical piece, seeing it with multiple casts brings out different nuances and highlights different pieces -- and Hamilton has LOTS to dig into. I'm not going to put the cast album on repeat any time soon, but I'm going to keep recommending it to people because this is a great show.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Hamilton > Letters from Iwo Jima
Hamilton > The Black Cat
Hamilton > Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation
Hamilton < Arrival
Hamilton > The Florida Project
Hamilton < Blue Jasmine
Hamilton > The Lion in Winter
Hamilton > Spirited Away
Hamilton > August Rush
Hamilton < Waking Life
Hamilton < Ruby Sparks
Hamilton < The Virgin Spring
How it entered my Flickchart: #260 out of 3258, or 92%.

No comments: