Monday, September 28, 2020

Little Women (1994)

IMDb plot summary: The March sisters live and grow in post-Civil War America.
Directed by Gillian Armstrong. Starring Winona Ryder, Gabriel Byrne, Trini Alvarado, and Samantha Mathis.

I finally saw the version of Little Women that all my peers loved growing up. At its best, the story oozes warmth and welcome and a strong sense of family love despite ups and downs, and this definitely hits all those notes. The cast is all good, with special nods to Winona Ryder as Jo and Susan Sarandon as their mother. I think I am realizing however, after watching both this and the Greta Gerwig version this year, that this just isn't a story that resonates with me. I don't relate particularly well to any of the characters, it doesn't spark bigger ideas within me, no iteration of it unveils new layers, and on the whole it works for me better as a cozy mindless watch than as something that actually draws me in. And it always has that weird anti-genre-fiction thread running through it. There's nothing to complain about here, really - it's a solid, warm, cozy movie but nothing much beyond that.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Little Women > 12 Monkeys
Little Women < Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken
Little Women < The Terminal
Little Women > Three Colors: Red
Little Women > Children of Paradise
Little Women > The Theory of Everything
Little Women > Mother Night
Little Women < Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
Little Women < Ben-Hur
Little Women < The Chorus
Little Women < The Curse of the Jade Scorpion
Little Women < Mr. Holmes
Final spot: #1234 out of 3223, or 62%.

No comments: