Thursday, February 20, 2020

Stolen Kisses (1968)


IMDb plot summary: After being discharged from the army, Antoine Doinel centers a screwball comedy where he applies for different jobs and tries to make sense of his relationships with women.
Directed by François Truffaut. Starring Jean-Pierre Léaud, Delphine Seyrig, Claude Jade, and Michael Lonsdale.

It's been some time since I watched The 400 Blows, and I have not watched Antoine and Colette. It took me a little bit to even realize this was the same character, but it did make me want to go back and watch/rewatch those two. Antoine vacillates for me between being outright unpleasant and being just young and impetuous but not malicious. There are a lot of little moments in this movie that are just perfect -- I absolutely loved the moment where he accidentally called his boss' wife (whom he secretly loves) "sir" by accident and then literally runs away in panicked embarrassment. Such a relatable moment. It definitely feels like a center piece of a story, and usually that's very uninteresting, but this has enough going for it that I didn't mind so much it being a piece of a larger story.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Stolen Kisses > Nothing in Common
Stolen Kisses < Husbands and Wives
Stolen Kisses < Real Life
Stolen Kisses > Kinky Boots the Musical
Stolen Kisses > I Saw the Devil
Stolen Kisses > Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Stolen Kisses > Draft Day
Stolen Kisses > Primal Fear
Stolen Kisses < Away We Go
Stolen Kisses < Gentleman's Agreement
Stolen Kisses > The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Final spot: #1164 out of 3077.

No comments: