Saturday, January 4, 2020

The Lighthouse (2019)


IMDb plot summary: Two lighthouse keepers try to maintain their sanity while living on a remote and mysterious New England island in the 1890s.
Directed by Robert Eggers. Starring Robert Pattinson and Willem Defoe.

While I admire the many decisions that clearly went into this and the boldness of Willem Defoe and Robert Pattinson's performances, it fails to land for me. I mostly found myself frustrated with its refusal to separate reality from insanity for the viewer. I know that it's mirroring the messy mental states of its characters, but it's got to have an especially spellbinding emotional center to hold onto me through that, and this wasn't that for me. At the end of the day, I look at this and think, "What am I supposed to get out of this?" I admire the viewing experience it clearly brought to others, but I found it empty.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Lighthouse > The Sasquatch Gang
The Lighthouse < The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
The Lighthouse < The Fellowship of the Ring
The Lighthouse < Going My Way
The Lighthouse < Hulk
The Lighthouse > Muppet Treasure Island
The Lighthouse < Kagemusha
The Lighthouse < It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
The Lighthouse < Don Jon
The Lighthouse < Star Trek: First Contact
The Lighthouse < Love's Labour's Lost
The Lighthouse < The Wiz
Final spot: #1475 out of 3046.

No comments: