Saturday, January 11, 2020

My Blueberry Nights (2007)


IMDb plot summary: A young lonely woman takes a soul-searching journey across America to resolve her questions about love while encountering a series of offbeat characters along the way.
Directed by Kar-Wai Wong. Starring Jude Law, Norah Jones, David Strathairn, and Natalie Portman.

This kind of works as a series of short films but is much less compelling as an overall narrative. Elizabeth’s arc from story to story is mostly unconnected (and I don’t think it’s Norah Jones’ acting inexperience at fault here, it’s a script problem) but the people she finds herself enmeshed with are fascinating, especially David Strathairn’s alcoholic police officer unwilling to accept the demise of his marriage. The bookended pieces are only held together by Jude Law being supernaturally charming.

How it entered my Flickchart:
My Blueberry Nights > Lazer Team
My Blueberry Nights < The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
My Blueberry Nights < Gentleman's Agreement
My Blueberry Nights < As It Is In Heaven
My Blueberry Nights < Holiday (2018)
My Blueberry Nights < The Wiz
My Blueberry Nights < I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK
My Blueberry Nights < The Pursuit of Happyness
My Blueberry Nights < A Night to Remember
My Blueberry Nights < The Absent-Minded Professor
My Blueberry Nights < The Princess Diaries
My Blueberry Nights > Company (2011)
Final spot: #1524 out of 3050.

No comments: