Thursday, January 16, 2020

City of God (2002)


IMDb plot summary: In the slums of Rio, two kids' paths diverge as one struggles to become a photographer and the other a kingpin.
Directed by Fernando Meirelles and Katia Lund. Starring Alexandre Rodrigues, Leandro Firmino, Phellipe Haagensen, and Douglas Silva.

This is a movie that’s been on my watchlist for a very long time, and I should have seen it long before now. While I have a very tough time buying into crime movies, this one has some pretty heartbreaking scenes, particularly some of the ones featuring very young children getting caught up in the violence that’s all around them. The camera work could be distracting but it works here -- really makes me feel like you’re part of this world with them (though I don’t really want to be). Overall a well-made movie, even if it isn’t quite my genre.

How it entered my Flickchart:
City of God > Inland Empire
City of God < The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
City of God > Away We Go
City of God > Oliver Twist (1948)
City of God < The Miseducation of Cameron Post
City of God > The Children's Hour
City of God < World War Z
City of God > The General
City of God > Monsters Vs. Aliens
City of God < Moneyball
City of God > Meet Joe Black
Final spot: #885 out of 3052.

No comments: