Saturday, October 13, 2018

The Tribe (2014)


IMDb plot summary: A deaf boy joins a boarding school for similar children. Confronted by the violent and criminal antics of some of the other boys and girls, he struggles to conform and join the 'tribe'.
Directed by Myroslav Slaboshpytskyi. Starring Hryhoriy Fesenko, Yana Novikova, Rosa Babiy, and Oleksandr Dsiadevych.

This is such a tough movie for me to rank, because I seriously appreciate the artistry of this movie while actually hating the story itself. I love that the film is entirely in sign language with no translation or subtitles. That's such a bold, delicious choice, and I wanted to love the film just for that. Unfortunately, it's a crime drama that doesn't seem to go in any new directions (though I may have missed something with the language barrier), and on top of that, it's very viscerally unpleasant. There were at least two scenes where I had to shrink the browser because it almost physically hurt me to watch it. It's very interestingly made, but it's just not a movie that I would ever care to see again.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Tribe < Father of the Bride Part II
The Tribe < Picnic
The Tribe > Breach
The Tribe < Anchors Aweigh
The Tribe > The Firm
The Tribe > Inkheart
The Tribe > Short Circuit 2
The Tribe < Annie (1982)
The Tribe > It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
The Tribe > My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2
The Tribe < First Blood

Final spot: #2333 out of 2854.

No comments: