Thursday, April 12, 2018

Lovely & Amazing (2001)


IMDb plot summary: Self-esteem and insecurity are at the heart of this comedy about the relationship between a mother and her three confused daughters.
Directed by Nicole Holofcener. Starring Catherine Keener, Emily Mortimer, Brenda Blethyn, and Raven Goodwin.

You ever watch one of those movies that move you deeply but you didn't realize it until the end of the movie when suddenly you were crying for no known reason? I'm still not sure I can actually verbalize the sum of this movie's parts, but all its parts are incredible. Each scene just seems astonishingly... true. It helps that such incredible actors are cast. (Can we all just agree the world would be a better place if Catherine Keener was in every movie?) As the story went on I was struggling to put together each (marvelous) individual scene into its place in the narrative as a whole, but in the end I'm not even sure that matters as much as it usually would for me, because each piece of it is so good. This is one that's going to stay with me for awhile and that I expect to revisit in the future.

(Note: I just actually looked the movie up and it's by Nicole Holofcener WHICH MAKES SO MUCH SENSE. I watched her film Walking and Talking as well recently and was similarly struck by the natural truthfulness of every moment. Obviously I need to see everything this woman has written.)

4 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Lovely & Amazing > Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing
Lovely & Amazing > The Front
Lovely & Amazing < I've Loved You So Long
Lovely & Amazing > Robin Hood (1973)
Lovely & Amazing < Jaws
Lovely & Amazing > The Shape of Water
Lovely & Amazing > The Great Gatsby (2013)
Lovely & Amazing < The Joy Luck Club
Lovely & Amazing < The Virgin Spring
Lovely & Amazing < Philomena
Lovely & Amazing > The Wolf of Wall Street

Final spot: #450 out of 2760.

No comments: