Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Cries and Whispers (1972)


IMDb plot summary: When a woman dying of cancer in early twentieth-century Sweden is visited by her two sisters, long-repressed feelings between the siblings rise to the surface.
Directed by Ingmar Bergman. Starring Harriet Andersson, Kari Sylwan, Ingrid Thulin, and Liv Ullmann.

Boy, when I don't get Bergman, I *really* don't get him. This is interminably slow and cold, presumably to mirror the coldness of the sisters toward each other, but I can find no way into this film, no way to glean any information from long close-up shots of faces doing nothing against a black background or seeming nonsequiturs muttered aloud. I get the vague sense that there's a semblance of story here that I'd really love if I could make my way to it through all the distancing artistic choices, but as it is I found it a frustrating and alienating viewing experience.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Cries and Whispers < They Made Me a Fugitive
Cries and Whispers > Drive Me Crazy
Cries and Whispers < Birdman of Alcatraz
Cries and Whispers < A Man Called Peter
Cries and Whispers < The Phantom of the Opera (2004)
Cries and Whispers < Spinning Into Butter
Cries and Whispers > Scrooged
Cries and Whispers > Move Over, Darling
Cries and Whispers < Madame Blueberry
Cries and Whispers > One Hour Photo
Cries and Whispers < Multiplicity
Final spot: #2018 out of 2735.

No comments: