Monday, February 5, 2018

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993)


IMDb plot summary: Batman is wrongly implicated in a series of murders of mob bosses actually done by a new vigilante assassin.
Directed by Eric Radomski and Bruce Timm. Starring Kevin Conroy, Dana Delany, Hart Bochner, and Stacy Keach.

Between this and Pokemon, I feel like I've been watching a lot of movies that are basically long episodes of the TV show. This one, however, actually has some exposition and is fairly easy to follow. I like just about everything surrounding the Phantasm itself -- the design, the reveal, the back story -- but I'm not at all convinced that it makes sense for the Joker to be part of this story. Don't get me wrong, it's fun that he is, but it seems incongruous, and doesn't work as well for me as the main plotline. In general, though, it's kind of tough for me to judge this as a standalone movie since it's basically part of the TV show. It was fun but it's going to rank medium-ish because of that.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm > Anonymous
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm < Manchester by the Sea
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm > JFK
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm < Gentleman's Agreement
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm > We Need to Talk About Kevin
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm < Dark Shadows
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm > 21
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm > Hail, Caesar!
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm > EDtv
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm < Ninotchka

Final spot: #896 out of 2718.

No comments: