Sunday, October 22, 2017

UHF (1989)


IMDb plot summary: An unemployed visionary becomes the manager of a local public station. The station becomes a success, with all sorts of hilarious sight gags and wacky humor.
Directed by Jay Levey. Starring "Weird Al" Yankovic, Victoria Jackson, Kevin McCarthy, and Michael Richards.

Earlier in my current movie challenge I watched Pee-Wee's Big Adventure and it did *not* go over well. This one reminded me of it on more than one occasion. They both have a sense of playful goofiness, but this one is (somehow) slightly more grounded. There are actual stakes involved, the characters are quirky but they're mostly acknowledged as quirky within the world so I don't feel like I'm watching a group of aliens trying to be human. A lot of the humor does *not* work for me here and just goes for the most childish option, but there's a goofy sincerity here I kind of admire, and I can absolutely see this being something I'd love as a child. As an adult it doesn't sit quite as well, but it's all right.

3 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
UHF > Trainwreck
UHF < Catfish
UHF < The Player
UHF > Marathon
UHF > Laura
UHF > Pi
UHF < The Red Shoes
UHF < Star Trek: First Contact
UHF < Finding Dory
UHF > Wide Awake
UHF < Stalag 17

Final spot: #1039 out of 2669.

No comments: