Friday, October 27, 2017

Fright Night (1985)


IMDb plot summary: When a teenager learns that his next door neighbour is a vampire, no one will believe him.
Directed by Tom Holland. Starring Chris Sarandon, William Ragsdale, Amanda Bearse, and Roddy McDowall.

Lately I've been finding myself giving just about every movie I see a mid-to-low ranking and I've been wondering if I wasn't in a positive movie-watching mood or if I had been seeing just that many mediocre movies. Well, whichever one it is, the streak has been broken, because I LOVED this. I've seen the 2011 remake with Colin Farrell, Anton Yelchin, and David Tennant, and I had a great time with it, but I recall it basically wearing its camp on its sleeve, ramping everything up into a fast-paced meta melodrama horror. This one is surprisingly a little quieter, with the first chunk of the movie leaning heavily on slow creepy scenes before it jumps into wild gross effects in the latter half. Both halves of the movie are equally interesting, though, and I didn't at all feel disappointed when faces started melting and goo started dripping because after all that build, I wanted to see some stuff go crazy, and it really, really did. SO much fun.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Fright Night > Ghostbusters (1984)
Fright Night > Catfish
Fright Night > The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
Fright Night < A Charlie Brown Christmas
Fright Night > Horrible Bosses
Fright Night < District 9
Fright Night < Love and Death
Fright Night > High School Musical 2
Fright Night < Life of Brian
Fright Night < Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Fright Night > Kick-Ass (...Why is this so high on my chart?)
Final spot: #236 out of 2670.

No comments: