Saturday, January 21, 2017

The Resurrection of Gavin Stone (2016)


IMDb plot summary: A washed-up former child star, forced to do community service at a local megachurch, pretends to be a Christian to land the part of Jesus in their annual Passion Play, only to discover that the most important role of his life is far from Hollywood.
Directed by Dallas Jenkins. Starring Brett Dalton, Anjelah Johnson-Reyes, Shawn Michaels, and Neil Flynn.

So. Christian movies. As I discussed in my review of silence, I do not have a good relationship with most of them. They're cheesy and preachy and focused more on the message than on the story. I went into this not expecting a lot, and frankly, I only saw it because I had 2 hours to kill in between teaching kids and it was the only film I could see in that time slot. I was, however, pleasantly surprised. This isn't an Oscar winner by any stretch of the imagination, but it's actually a pretty solid story. It focuses more on the character than on the preaching, his conversion scene flows fairly naturally from what comes before, there aren't a lot of long-winded "let me explain the message of the movie to you now" scenes, and I actually laughed a few times at Gavin's attempts to look Christian in front of everyone. It's on par with a kind-of-okay non-Christian comedy, which is a step in the right direction, even if we've got a long way to go to make something that's actually great.

2.5 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Resurrection of Gavin Stone > Office Space
The Resurrection of Gavin Stone < Soapdish
The Resurrection of Gavin Stone < Runaway Bride
The Resurrection of Gavin Stone > The Dresser
The Resurrection of Gavin Stone < A League of Their Own
The Resurrection of Gavin Stone < Bee Movie
The Resurrection of Gavin Stone < The Magnificent Ambersons
The Resurrection of Gavin Stone < Misery
The Resurrection of Gavin Stone < Star Trek: Generations
The Resurrection of Gavin Stone > Serial Killer 1
The Resurrection of Gavin Stone < Anna and the King

Final spot: #1119 out of 2565.

No comments: