Saturday, January 21, 2017

Silence (2016)


IMDb plot summary: Two priests travel to Japan in an attempt to locate their mentor and propagate Catholicism.
Directed by Martin Scorsese. Starring Andrew Garfield, Adam Driver, Liam Neeson, and Tadanobu Asano.

I often have an interesting relationship with movies about Christianity. I deeply long to find ones that are meaningful and well-done, and those just don't come along very often. This, however, is one of the best. I didn't much care for Scorsese's The Last Temptation of Christ, but he gets it absolutely right here and I found myself almost stunned by the film's power. I'm not sure how it would play to a non-Christian audience, but as for myself, I was entirely drawn into the story and found myself thinking deeply about the moral quandaries posed throughout as the credits rolled.

I'm still pondering it, so it's probably the wrong time to be writing a review, even as condensed as mine usually are, but it certainly hit me hard. Andrew Garfield is spectacular as a priest battling for his faith, but I was also impressed by Adam Driver and Liam Neeson and Yosuke Kubozuka (as a character I found myself increasingly drawn to). An intense and fascinating movie that I think is going to keep gnawing at my heart and soul as I process it.

4.5 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Silence > Martian Child
Silence > Soapdish
Silence > The Beaver
Silence > Equus
Silence < Arsenic and Old Lace
Silence < High Fidelity
Silence < Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
Silence > Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Silence < Strangers on a Train
Silence < Liar Liar
Silence > Jerry Maguire

Final spot: #148 out of 2564.

No comments: