Tuesday, November 22, 2016

The Edge of Seventeen (2016)


IMDb plot summary: High-school life gets even more unbearable for Nadine when her best friend, Krista, starts dating her older brother.
Directed by Kelly Fremon Craig. Starring Hailee Steinfeld, Haley Lu Richardson, Blake Jenner, and Kyra Sedgwick.

Coming-of-age movies are extremely common and also very difficult to pull off convincingly. This movie does it all right. These kids feel like me and people I would have known in high school. Hailee Steinfeld in particular does a phenomenal job portraying one of the most relatable angry teens I think I've ever seen on film. The movie's resolution never feels forced or cheesy, the characterization is spot on, and every small plot reveal is a delight to watch. There's so much to love about this movie, and I have a feeling that if I rewatched this in the future, I'd find more things to love about it and it'd climb further up  my chart. Really well done.

4 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Edge of Seventeen > Spy Game
The Edge of Seventeen > The Artist
The Edge of Seventeen < The Beaver
The Edge of Seventeen > The Goodbye Girl (2004)
The Edge of Seventeen > Paul
The Edge of Seventeen < Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie
The Edge of Seventeen < The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
The Edge of Seventeen > The Bumblebee Flies Anyway
The Edge of Seventeen < The Shawshank Redemption
The Edge of Seventeen < Fail-Safe
The Edge of Seventeen < Changing Lanes
The Edge of Seventeen < Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Final spot: #385 out of 2534.

No comments: