Friday, November 18, 2016

EDtv (1999)


A video store clerk agrees to have his life filmed by a camera crew for a television show.
Directed by Ron Howard. Starring Matthew McConnaughey, Jenna Elfman, Ellen DeGeneres, and Woody Harrelson.

I'd heard this movie compared a lot to The Truman Show, which is one of my top 10 movies of all time. This is not nearly as good, but it's cute, and it's sweet, and it works for the most part. It's definitely fascinating to see it 17 years after it was made, now that reality TV has really kicked into gear. This is a good role for McConnaughey, who I'm usually bored by, and it's definitely the most charmed I've ever been by his charming southern folksy thing. Nothing wows me here, but it was an entertaining watch, and it was one that was sitting on top of my "I bet that's fun" pile for quite some time.

3 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
EDtv > Air Force One
EDtv < The Artist
EDtv > Peter Pan Live! (way too high on my chart, needs a rerank)
EDtv > Away We Go
EDtv < The Kite Runner
EDtv < White Heat
EDtv < A Midsummer Night's Dream
EDtv > Celeste and Jesse Forever
EDtv < Dark Shadows
EDtv < Ninotchka
EDtv > The Happening
Final spot: #778 out of 2530.

No comments: