Friday, November 25, 2016

Arrival (2016)


IMDb plot summary: A linguist is recruited by the military to assist in translating alien communications.
Directed by Denis Villeneuve. Starring Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner, Michael Stuhlbarg, and Forest Whitaker.

(Mild spoilers ahead.)

Wow. This is a really beautiful movie. It takes quite the unexpected journey, moving from an alien invasion thriller to a drama about language and communication to... whatever you'd call the last 20 minutes of the movie. I expected it to be a movie that would make me think and muse, not one that would make me cry. It unravels itself in such a way that you don't even realize you've been given pieces of the puzzle until they suddenly all come together at the end. The visuals are also incredible. The movie takes place in just a few locations, but those locations are so vivid and the design of the alien spacecraft and the aliens themselves are both so well done that it fully immersed me in the story.

Overall, although I'm finding things to rave about, it's actually pretty difficult to articulate my love for the movie. It's one of those films that just digs down into my soul and sits there. I think to really analyze this flick, it'll take another watch or two and a lot more digestion time.

4.5 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Arrival > Spy Game
Arrival > Argo
Arrival > The Beaver
Arrival > 'Night, Mother
Arrival < Arsenic and Old Lace
Arrival < Psycho
Arrival < Sleuth (1972)
Arrival < The Importance of Being Earnest (2002)
Arrival > Take the Money and Run
Arrival > Catch Me If You Can
Arrival > Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

Final spot: #149 out of 2535.

No comments: