Monday, September 5, 2016

Short Circuit 2 (1988)


IMDb plot summary: Robot Johnny Five comes to the city and gets manipulated by criminals who want him for their own purposes.
Directed by Kenneth Johnson. Starring Fisher Stevens, Michael McKean, Cynthia Gibb, and Jack Weston.

I don't remember much about the first Short Circuit, though I'm pretty sure they were battling the government there rather than evil diamond thieves. And wasn't there a dramatic almost-death scene then too? Anyway, this movie is so ridiculous it's tough to really dislike, but it's tough to love, too. Cute robot movies are almost identical to most cute kid movies, which are very unlikely to win me over. It's also hard to actually empathize with a character who speaks mostly in dated catch phrases. I didn't roll my eyes at it nearly as much as I thought I would, but I didn't feel any kind of connection to the characters or care about the story or laugh at the jokes. It's inoffensive and uninspired.

2 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Short Circuit 2 < Rebecca
Short Circuit 2 < Mickey Blue Eyes
Short Circuit 2 > Faces
Short Circuit 2 > Dragonball Evolution
Short Circuit 2 > 10 Items or Less
Short Circuit 2 > Robin Hood: Men in Tights
Short Circuit 2 > Treasure Planet
Short Circuit 2 < Chinatown
Short Circuit 2 > Unknown
Short Circuit 2 > Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus

Final spot: #1889 out of 2502.

No comments: