Sunday, September 18, 2016

Big Man Japan (2007)


IMDb plot summary: An eccentric man living alone in a decrepit house in Tokyo periodically transforms into a 100-foot tall giant in order to defend Japan against similarly sized monsters.
Directed by Hitoshi Matsumoto. Starring Hitoshi Matsumoto, Riki Takeuchi, Ua, and Tomoji Hasegawa.

(Minor spoilers ahead.)

This movie is off-the-wall crazy and I love it a lot. I went into it not knowing a single thing about it, so when it made an abrupt shift from slice-of-life documentary to Japanese monster/superhero movie, I was completely taken aback. It becomes a very funny (and sometimes, simultaneously, very sad) movie about celebrity and saving the world. And I have to say, I 100% adore those monster designs. They are strange and sometimes unsettling and silly and original and every time they announced a new monster I got all excited for the fight, which is... not at all what I would have expected. I'm still mentally figuring out whether there's a meaning to the end of the film or whether it's just silly for silliness' sake. Both are enjoyable, but I'm hoping for the former because the movie got me to genuinely care about its unfortunate lead character and I'd like to have some sort of resolution on his behalf, even if it's a sad one. Overall though, really enjoyable movie, and one I'd probably never have found on my own.

4 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Big Man Japan > O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Big Man Japan > Gone Baby Gone
Big Man Japan < Kramer vs. Kramer
Big Man Japan < The Goodbye Girl (2004)
Big Man Japan > Heavenly Creatures
Big Man Japan > Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
Big Man Japan < Shakespeare Behind Bars
Big Man Japan < Witness for the Prosecution
Big Man Japan > Cold Comfort Farm
Big Man Japan < Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Final spot: #504 out of 2510.

No comments: