Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Thor (2011)

I did not expect to enjoy this movie, but it took me completely by surprise and I had a wonderful time... although I don't know if I took it the way I was supposed to. The scenes in Asgard are so over-the-top that they reach a delightful level of campiness, and I found myself enjoying the bizarre epic scope of those scenes combined with the decidedly non-epic scenes set on earth. It makes absolute sense that Kenneth Branagh directed this, because every line sounds "Shakespearean" - dignified and important. The movie also looks *great*, as I mention in the "best part" section below. Rather than make this story gritty or silly, it is made grandiose. It goes far enough to make a really entertaining movie instead of a really pretentious, boring one. 3 stars.

Best Part: I absolutely loved the look of that scene on the bridge at the end. Visually stunning. Most of the scenes in Asgard, actually, look gorgeous.
Worst Part: I have never been SO BORED by Natalie Portman. What is she even doing?
Flickchart: #685, below Forgiving Dr. Mengele and above Little Women from 1933.

No comments: