Sunday, May 13, 2007

The Holiday (2006)

This is a very satisfying chick flick. The two stories are each interesting, with their own characters and plots. I like all the actors in this fairly well (with the exception of Cameron Diaz, who actually was surprisingly likable here). I will mention, however, this movie unfolds s-l-o-w-l-y. It's 136 minutes long, and because of that, I'm not sure it would hold up to a second viewing because of so much in-betweenness. Also, I felt like the Kate Winslet subplot was slightly underdeveloped in some ways. The ending to her story felt abrupt, which was too bad, because she was the character I was most interested in. Still, a satisfying watch. Recommended if you like romantic comedies. Or perhaps romantic dramas, since this is more dramatic than comedic, although it's somewhat lighthearted. 3.5 stars.

No comments: