Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Moulin Rouge! (2001)

This may well have been one of the most amazing movies I have ever seen, and I don't know how it happened. A traditional love story, no new twists there, paper-thin characters, melodrama galore... and better yet, everyone will sing pop songs? Not original songs, but *pop* songs. Say, "Like a Virgin" and "The Show Must Go On." Hey, I like musicals, but by all rights that should have been cheesy and stupid and all-around lousy. And yet.. somehow it isn't. I was enthralled with this movie by the time the first dance scene showed up. I have never, ever been a fan of Ewan McGregor, but since all he had to be here was sincere, he was perfect. Nicole Kidman was also fantastic in her (also not-deep) role. And the fact that neither one of them have particularly good voices didn't keep me from enjoying the movie - I *really* don't know how that happened. This movie is all about style over substance, and BOY, does it have style. It's got style overflowing and coming out its ears. Dazzling. Stunning. A spectacular film.

I am going to venture to do something I haven't done in a long time, and that is rate a movie 5 stars. I think it deserves it. The movie completely blew me away.

No comments: