Monday, October 23, 2006

L'Enfant (2005)

Earlier this week I saw Paradise Now, an Arabic film, and then this afternoon I watched this French film... and had the same reaction to both of them. Maybe it's the foreign film genre? I have no idea. I found this movie pretty not-compelling, up until the last 10 minutes or so, where suddenly it all came together and made sense and made an interesting story. Part of the problem with this one, though, was that I was annoyed with the main characters. They both seemed very young and very immature. There were several moments where I sat there, supposed to be sympathizing with this character, and not feeling any emotional response at all, except for maybe, "Geez, dude, that was stupid." He did manage to redeem himself a bit at the end, and she became much less annoying when she was angry than when she was the cheerful flirt, but still... the last ten minutes weren't enough to make up for the deadly boring hour and a half at the beginning. 2 stars.

No comments: