Monday, October 9, 2006

Howl's Moving Castle (2004)

This was really a very nice movie. Visually, I found it much more lovely than Spirited Away. (Spirited Away was more spectacular, but also more creepy in quite a few places.) I'm not sure I fully understood the plot, though. There were a lot of convoluted moments. A lot of interwoven plots I didn't catch connections to, I'm sure. I'd probably benefit from watching it over again. What I caught of the story, I liked. Lots of Beauty and the Beast type romance, which makes me smile and be happy. Also, I'm not sure if this is true of this genre in general, but both of the Miyazaki films I've seen felt very epic, without actually BEING epic. I really like that feel in a movie. It gets me engrossed in the story, even if I'm not entirely sure what happened the whole time. 3.5 stars.

No comments: