Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Rosetta (1999)

IMDb plot summary: Young and impulsive Rosetta lives with her alcoholic mother and, moved by despair, she will do anything to maintain a job.
Directed by Jean-Pierre Dardenne and Luc Dardenne. Starring Émilie Dequenne, Fabrizio Rongione, and Anne Yernaux.

Rosetta is a French film about a teenage girl who lives with her alcoholic mother and is trying to support them both. This is one of those stories that is just relentlessly depressing from beginning to end with zero no happiness in it, and that got very exhausting for me. I also got very overwhelmed with the cinematography choice to film the characters so close up that it was hard to tell what was actually happening. I perpetually felt like I was just standing inches away from them and couldn't process where their bodies were in the full space. This is the kind of movie that some people are going to absolutely love -- in fact, I watched this because it was a favorite of one of my movie fan friends -- but I just found it really dreary and depressing and didn't find a lot of redeeming value to it. It's not a bad movie per se, but it's one that I find hard to judge because I truly don't know what I'm supposed to get out of this.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Rosetta < The Invention of Lying
Rosetta > Avengers: Endgame
Rosetta < Wild Zero
Rosetta > Sweet Kitty Bellair
Rosetta > American Hustle
Rosetta < Internet Famous
Rosetta < Dead Man Walking
Rosetta < The Ascent
Rosetta > National Velvet
Rosetta > Marry Me
Rosetta > Mud
Rosetta < The Lost Daughter
Final spot: #2558, or 35%.

No comments: