Saturday, July 6, 2024

A Notorious Affair (1930)

IMDb plot summary: A scheming musician seduces a wealthy woman for love and money.
Directed by Lloyd Bacon. Starring Billie Dove, Basil Rathbone, and Kay Francis.

A Notorious Affair is the story of a wealthy young woman who defies her father's wishes and runs away with a poor Italian violinist, played by Basil Rathbone. But Rathbone turns out to be a poor husband, and the woman ends up having to reap the consequences of the mistake that she made. This is an interesting story because it does not go the direction that I expected. I thought this would be firmly on the side of love overcoming class, but that brings her nothing but misery in this story. Basil Rathbone is a lot of fun as the pretentious violinist, and Kay Francis, who I've been enjoying in my 1930 project, does a great job as the woman who lures Rathbone away. (Looking at my list, this is my fifth Kay Francis movie from 1930 I've seen, and there are still more!) Overall, it's enjoyable melodrama. It's not spectacular, but it was a good quick watch, and I enjoyed seeing how things played out.

How it entered my Flickchart:
A Notorious Affair > The Invention of Lying
A Notorious Affair < Safe
A Notorious Affair < The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain
A Notorious Affair > Paris, Texas.
A Notorious Affair < How to Marry a Millionaire
A Notorious Affair > Ant-Man. 
A Notorious Affair > Anybody's Woman
A Notorious Affair < I Remember Mama
A Notorious Affair < Cairo Station
A Notorious Affair < Y Tu Mama Tambien
A Notorious Affair > The Boondock Saints
A Notorious Affair > Were The World Mine
Final spot: #1616, or 59%.

No comments: