Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Love Exposure (2008)

IMDb plot summary: A bizarre love triangle forms between a young Catholic upskirt photographer, a misandric girl and a manipulative cultist.
Directed by Sion Sono. Starring Takahiro Nishijima, Hikari Mitsushima, and Sakura Andô.

Love Exposure is a four-hour comedy/drama/romance about three extremely damaged teenagers looking for love and acceptance and... OK, I can't actually figure out how to summarize this movie. There has not been a movie recently that I've so needed the word ambivalent for. Ambivalent, to be clear, does not mean apathetic. It means strong, conflicting feelings. There are parts of this that I absolutely loathe and parts of this that I absolutely love. And overall, it ends up landing more on the loathe side because there's more of that, because it doesn't come together the way that I want it to, and because it is four hours long and I'm not sure any of that is justified. I really enjoy some of the dynamics between characters. But there's just so much going on that it's hard to cohere any of it in a way that I got anything out of. I think I'd like this better in individual tiny chunks, maybe a series of short movies that I could, short films that I could choose what to watch and what not to. Large portions of this, I just did not care about. So it's landing on the lower end, but I could see why people might love this. 

How it entered my Flickchart:
Love Exposure > The Invention of Lying
Love Exposure < The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
Love Exposure < Kajaki
Love Exposure < Imitation of Life (1959)
Love Exposure < Land
Love Exposure < Laal Singh Chaddha
Love Exposure < Chasing Amy
Love Exposure < Hamlet (2009)
Love Exposure < For Pete's Sake
Love Exposure > The Bat Whispers
Love Exposure < Pete's Dragon (1977)
Love Exposure < The Voyage to Greenland
Final spot: #1941, or 50%.

No comments: