Wednesday, July 17, 2024

All of Us Strangers (2023)

IMDb plot summary: A screenwriter drawn back to his childhood home enters into a fledgling relationship with his downstairs neighbor while discovering a mysterious new way to heal from losing his parents 30 years ago.
Directed by Andrew Haigh. Starring Andrew Scott, Paul Mescal, and Claire Foy.

All of Us Strangers is a movie starring Andrew Scott and Paul Mescal as two gay men who live in the same mostly empty building and end up beginning a relationship. Along the way we also see Scott visiting his parents, who he hasn't spent much time with and don't know much about the person that he is today. The story and the relationships unfold slowly, so I'm not going to go a whole lot more into detail than that, because I think a lot of it is good to watch unfold by yourself. I will say that this movie left me absolutely devastated. It's a beautiful movie but it's heart-wrenching in ways that I didn't anticipate. There were some moments of grief and loss that I saw coming and others that I did not. Ultimately, at the end, it left me wanting to cry, but in the best possible, horribly cathartic way of just emptying my soul out. Definitely a heavy watch, a tricky watch, but a really beautiful movie. 

How it entered my Flickchart:
All of Us Strangers > The Invention of Lying
All of Us Strangers > Safe
All of Us Strangers > The Legend of 1900
All of Us Strangers > Fatal Attraction
All of Us Strangers < Tootsie
All of Us Strangers < Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
All of Us Strangers < Seven Samurai
All of Us Strangers > Kes
All of Us Strangers > Last Crusade.
All of Us Strangers > Nightmare Before Christmas
All of Us Strangers < The Others
All of Us Strangers > Beasts of No Nation
Final spot: #220, or 94%.

No comments: