Sunday, June 18, 2023

The Ice Storm (1997)

IMDb plot summary: In suburban New Canaan, Connecticut, 1973, middle-class families experimenting with casual sex and substance abuse find their lives beyond their control.
Directed by Ang Lee. Starring Kevin Kline, Joan Allen, and Sigourney Weaver.

The Ice Storm is a talky family drama that feels very much like a Tennessee Williams kind of script, where all the characters are miserable and all of them are having affairs with everybody else... and I just don't care about any of them. This is despite a really solid cast, including Sigourney Weaver and Kevin Kline, and a young Elijah Wood and Christina Ricci. I did have medium-high hopes for this one but it just all sits in such a drudgery that I couldn't get into it. For this kind of thing to work I have to either really intellectually care about the themes or find a connection to the characters in some way or be given smart and thoughtful dialogue, and while I could see this attempting to do all three of those things, none of them ever really land. I'm not sure this is a bad movie so much is just one that is absolutely not for me. I would definitely be curious to hear from people who are big fans of this one because it feels like something that would have fans. I'm just not one of them.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Ice Storm < The Last Dragon
The Ice Storm > Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex...
The Ice Storm < Santa Claus is Comin' to Town
The Ice Storm > Bandidas
The Ice Storm > Doctor Zhivago
The Ice Storm > Ralph Breaks the Internet
The Ice Storm > Hitchcock
The Ice Storm < Withnail & I
The Ice Storm < Revolutionary Road
The Ice Storm < Kindergarten Cop
The Ice Storm < Matchstick Men
The Ice Storm > Sideways
Final spot: #2401 out of 3797, or 37%.

No comments: