Monday, June 26, 2023

The Deep (1977)


IMDb plot summary: In Bermuda, two amateur treasure-hunting divers have a run-in with local criminals when they inadvertently discover the secret cargo of a World War II shipwreck.
Directed by Peter Yates. Starring Jacqueline Bisset, Nick Nolte, and Dick Anthony Williams.

The Deep was next on my Peter Yates watchlist. It tells the story of a couple on a diving expedition on their vacation who discovered some mysterious artifacts that then get them entangled in the middle of a big dramatic smuggling plot.  There are definitely some nice tense scenes involving the efforts to find more artifacts under the water, but my enjoyment of the film was largely hampered by how unlikable a character our lead is. He's played by Nick Nolte, who I've never been a huge fan of, but here he really leans into the ygly American stereotypes in a way where I'm mostly just rooting for him to lose the artifact and get sent back home. I will admit that this is mostly a personal preference, that his character just entirely rubs me the wrong way and I can't quite get over it. It might be worth watching the rest of the movie for some of the action sequences, but the plot and the acting and the writing are not going to be what recommends it primarily. This one definitely lands lower on my list of films by Yates.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Deep < The Last Dragon
The Deep > Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex...
The Deep < Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town
The Deep > Bandidas
The Deep < Doctor Zhivago
The Deep > Bronson
The Deep > August: Osage County
The Deep < Spinning Into Butter
The Deep < Prisoners
The Deep < Whoopee!
The Deep < And Then There Were None (1945)
The Deep > High Society
Final spot: #2520 out of 3798, or 34%.

No comments: