Tuesday, December 27, 2022

The Big Heat (1953)

IMDb plot summary: Tough cop Dave Bannion takes on a politically powerful crime syndicate.
Directed by Fritz Lang. Starring Glenn Ford, Gloria Grahame, and Jocelyn Brando.

The Big Heat is a noir following a detective who just can't let go after a police officer's suicide and keeps digging deeper into what may have prompted it. It's directed by Fritz Lang, which means it looks great, but that's about where my interest in it ends. I just watched this movie a day or two ago and I couldn't for the life of me remember what actually happened in the movie -- I had to go to Wikipedia to remind myself of it. The one piece I could remember, because it's the one that stands out the most, is the relationship of the women in the movie to their significant others. Had more of the movie been focused around them, it would have captured my attention more. As it stands, it is another crime film I have a hard time getting into and thus don't feel qualified to give much more than my personal experience of it. If this is a genre you love, this is a well-put-together iteration of it, and Lang was a talented director so that alone makes it worth watching, but it won't land at the top of any of my own personal lists.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Big Heat < Forever Young
The Big Heat > Bounce
The Big Heat < She Loves Me
The Big Heat > Amen.
The Big Heat > Grace of Monaco
The Big Heat < Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
The Big Heat < Blade Runner
The Big Heat > Little Big League
The Big Heat > Twist of Faith
The Big Heat > A Time to Kill
The Big Heat < Born Into Brothels
Final spot: #2428 out of 3740, or 35%.

No comments: