Thursday, December 1, 2022

Mad God (2021)

IMDb plot summary: The Assassin travels through a nightmare underworld of tortured souls, ruined cities and wretched monstrosities forged from the primordial horrors of the unconscious mind of Phil Tippett, the world's preeminent stop-motion animator.
Directed by Phil Tippett. Starring Alex Cox, Niketa Roman, and Satish Ratakonda.

Mad God is a terrifying stop-motion experimental film with a vague plot about a nameless character descending into the depths of a post-apocalyptic hellscape to plant a bomb. We follow him as he encounters all kinds of upsetting horrors. This is a deeply unsettling movie that I really, really wanted to love, but amid all these super-compelling and terrifying images, I found myself irritated that I couldn't follow even a loose narrative. About 20 minutes in, I began to realize that we were never going to learn much about this world and, rather than that drawing me in more, I lost interest. The film brings me around a bit at the end but still isn't ever quite my thing. That being said, I do think it is well-made and I can see it being incredibly powerful for people who are especially drawn to strong visuals. It's very conceptually exciting and very cinematically arresting, even if I found my own interest wavering. It feels more like walking though an gallery of art installations than watching a film, so if that sounds amazing to you, you should definitely check this out.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Mad God > Vampyr
Mad God < Anna Karenina
Mad God < The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness
Mad God < You Can Count on Me
Mad God < Summer of Soul
Mad God > It Had to Be You
Mad God < The Lost Skeleton Returns Again
Mad God < Phantom Thread
Mad God < Cypher
Mad God < Eyes Wide Shut
Mad God > Hans Chistian Andersen
Mad God < Memphis Belle
Final spot: #1806 out of 3734, or 52%.

No comments: